Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 15:05:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Donn Miller wrote:

> I am presently using a USR sportster 56k, and am not using any modem
> initialization strings with this.  I was wondering if it were possible to
> tweak a modem initiazation string to get faster performance.
>
> I had been using a 14.4 Wang FAXmodem, and my ISP only supports 33.6k logins.
> So I choose speed = 38400.  However,  It seems like the download speed is
> faster, but not as fast as it should be (i.e., only 1.5 - 1.8 x what I was
> getting at 14.4k).

Try 115200 or 57600 -- it'll go even faster.  You want to set the
computer's baud rate the fastest that the modem supports without the
computer dropping characters.  In their default configurations, most
modems enable compression which gets you a faster data rate than without.
You'd have to check the command reference for the Sportster to make sure
that 33.6 performance is enabled.

> Also, is it possible to see what speed I'm connected at with ppp -background?
> I don't see this in the log files.  Maybe it would be useful to have some
> command-line tools to check on connect speed and other parameters even after
> ppp is started in the background with ppp -background.

You can enable additional log levels.  `set log chat' will get you the
login info which includes the CONNECT line.