Date:      Wed, 07 Mar 2012 09:09:24 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xeon Processors with AES instructions and geli encryption

Does the crypto(9) framework recognize and use these instructions?
Looks like the Windmere-series Xeons will drop into my system boards; I
gain two cores per CPU at the same time, so I'll go from an 8-way SMP
system to a 12-way one.

I am considering spending the money to upgrade a couple of servers here
that run geli-encrypted disks, as during heavy I/O they spend a LOT of
their CPU time on the disk encryption.  The differences I see in the use
of TrueCrypt on Windows machines that have AES instructions .vs. those
that do not are very significant and I'm curious if this carries over to
FreeBSD.

Thanks in advance!

--
-- Karl Denninger