Date:      Wed, 9 May 2012 15:38:05 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        n dhert <ndhertbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User can't login but /etc/(master.)passwd OK

On Wed, 9 May 2012 14:04:35 +0200, n dhert wrote:
> the entries for 'THATUSER in /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd are still
> the same as from a backup
> of 14 days ago (no change in encrypted passwd)
> The /etc/pwd.db and /etc/spwd.db  are binary files so I can't check..

You can easily rebuild them from the text files using pwd_mkdb.
Is /ect/group also okay?

> The home-directory of THATUSER is still present and contents looks normal ..

Does the home directory itself (the "path leading to it")
also look correct (owner & permissions)?

> All users have quota, but for this particular user:
> # quota -v THATUSER
> responds
> quota: THATUSER: unknown user
> # edquota -u THATUSER
> edquota: THATUSER: no such user
> # repquota /home does not show that user anymore

Maybe a side effect? Can you provide more error messages
maybe? Does /var/log/messages or /var/log/auth.log show
something relevant when the user in question attempts an
login?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany