Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 20:53:06 +0100
From:      Terje Normann Marthinussen <Terje.N.Marthinussen@cc.uit.no>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel Xpress motherboards?

>I seem to remember seeing a fix pass by that would cause Intel Xpress
>(server division) motherboards to work right.  We're trying to get one
>to work, but unfortunately the SCSI chips (Adaptec 7xxx) seem to be on
>the other PCI bus, which the kernel does not appear to see.

Ouch. This is something I should have done for a long time.. but you
know... First you don't have time. Then your too unmotivated, and just
when motivation comes along, someone fills up work until its flooding
around your ears.

This is a dual pci + eisa bus motherboard, right?

The quick hack fix I've used:
You have to get a kernel recompiled either using a controller that
freebsd can find, or compile it on some other machine (I installed
the entire system on another machine first time I got our HP LS 4/133
up).

vi /usr/src/sys/pci/pci.
change:
        pciroots = 1;
        while (pciroots--) {

to:
        pciroots = 2;
        while (pciroots--) {

and off you go.

The correct fix? Got it outlined by someone here earlier. It's a bit
more work.

I probably have to do it before June unless someone else does it.
Right now though, I don't have time to enter the world of pci bus/chip
magic.

Terje Marthinussen
terjem@cc.uit.no