Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 1995 10:45:16 -0400
From:      dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting with no kbd

>>On 1 machine the system won't even try to load the kernel. With boot manager
>>installed it just sits at the prompt and never times out. As soon as the
>>keyboard is plugged in it continues ok. Without boot manager it just hangs
>>without ever displaying the initial boot: prompt. The machine boots MS-DOS
>>OK in the same configuration.
>
>Does DOS + boot manager boot OK?

I don't have a dos partition on this machine, but I can boot from a floppy
so the system will boot with no keyboard installed.

Any suggestions for a hack to make this work? Which particular module is
involved?

>>The other machine loads the kernel ok, but then hangs at the sc0 probe. As
>>soon as the kbd is plugged in, it continues.

scprobe() has 2 possibly endless loops:

>E1) At the start, to "flush any noise in the buffer".  Perhaps endless noise
>is picked up by the unattached-to keyboard socket.  Unlikely.
>
>E2) If `gotack' is reached (for the first character of the ack or for
>the following bug) then there is an endless loop if the second character
>of the ack never arrives.
>
>and at least 2 logic bugs:
>
>B1) `retries' ends up as -1 if the `while (retries--)' loop is executed the
>maximum number of times, but the test for this is `if (!retries)'.
>
>B2) The value read from the keyboard in the loop in B2) is not waited for
>so it may be garbage.  Some garbage values would result in E2) being
>reached even if B1) is fixed.
>
>On my test system, the keyboard controller apparently responds to the
>KB_RESET command with 2 KB_RESEND's when there is no keyboard attached,
>so there is no problem.

I'll test this and see what I find.

thanks,

dennis