Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2012 09:52:15 +0000
From:      Mark Blackman <mark@exonetric.com>
To:        Traiano Welcome <Traiano.Welcome@mtnbusiness.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: syslog-ng: I/O error occurred while writing; fd='xx', error='No buffer space available (yy)'

On 22 Mar 2012, at 09:00, Traiano Welcome wrote:

>=20
>=20
> My question is: What does this error mean, and how can I resolve it?

=46rom a very casual inspection of the problem, I'd say you're pushing =
out
syslog messages faster than the kernel can get them out the interface.
How many syslog messages are going in (per second) and what kind of
network interface are you trying to send them out through?

>=20
> I have tried to frame this as an operating system kernel resource =
issue,
> and experimented with increasing the freebsd kernel sysctls for UDP
> performance:

I think you can push nmbclusters up to about 600k, but if your input is
running faster than your output, no amount of buffering will permanently
stave off this problem.

- Mark