Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:21:00 -0500
From:      Jack Stone <jacks@sage-american.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading perl

On 8/29/2012 1:32 PM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Jack Stone <jacks@sage-american.com> writes:
>
>> Actually, on other servers with the same upgrading needs, perl-5.12
>> installed without any issue. My intention is to upgrade perl in
>> increments to get well past EOL.
> You're somewhat on your own, then; I can't test any of my ideas before
> suggesting them to you.
>
>> Wonder if I just deinstalled the old perl5-5.10 and then installed the
>> perl5-12 would work. I can do that right from the port: make perl5-12
>> first to see if that works, then:
>> # make deinstall (perl-5.10) then: make install clean
> I would be surprised if the perl-5.12 port will build for you; I think
> you'll get the same error. If not, then yes, it should work.
>
>> What do you think? I've got to move up because an important perl
>> program requires a minimum 5.12.
> Well, it's also possible that there's a local problem on that
> machine. You indicated that you used portupgrade for similar updates on
> similarly-aged machines, but I'll guess that they were only roughly
> similar. I'll guess that you built your own INDEX file; if not, you
> probably should (and the associated database for portupgrade). Compare
> the infrastructure in ports/Mk (and maybe /usr/share/mk) with the
> similar machines that succeeded, and look at the Makefile in perl5.12 to
> make sure it sets options properly.
>
> Good luck.

AHAH! This just came out in ports UPDATING and maybe helps:
20120820:
   AFFECTS: users of ports-mgmt/portupgrade-devel
   AUTHOR:  bdrewery@FreeBSD.org

   Due to a bug introduced in 20120601, portupgrade is unable to
   upgrade itself on FreeBSD 7.x. This has been fixed in 20120820.
   ports-mgmt/portupgrade is not affected. To upgrade, execute the
following:

   # cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade-devel && make deinstall
install clean

All the best,
Jack