Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2018 16:20:52 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg falls behind port version - how do ports become pkg's?

On 12/11/2018 14:58, Karl Pielorz wrote:
> How long does it usually take for an updated port (e.g. mysql56-server
> which in ports is at 5.6.42) to be available as a pkg? (pkg under FBSD
> 11.2 is currently 5.6.41).

Which branch are you trcking in your pkg(8) config?  If it's 'latest',
then you'll get the updated mysql after about 1-3 days assuming there
aren't any problems with that port of any of its dependencies.

If it's 'quarterly' (which is the default) then you'll not get an update
until the beginning of the next quarter -- which would be the start of
January 2019.  The exception to this is when there's a security fix for
the package in question, which should appear within a day or so.

Use 'pkg -vv' to examine your config settings, particularly the 'url'
field under 'Repositories' towards the end of that output.

> I had previously thought all of this was mostly automated
> behind-the-scenes "magic" kind of stuff - but four weeks after the MySQL
> port was updated the pkg isn't yet :( - so I'm guessing it's not really
> that magic, and does involve human time & effort? :)

No, packages are automatically built, and usually show up within a few
days.  It involves human time and effort when things go wrong, but
that's primarily from the maintainers of the ports in question, and not
usually the pkg-builder admins.

> Are ports turned into pkg's by the maintainers? - Is it done as-and-when
> - or is there some kind of 'every x days / once per quarter' kind of thing?

Nope.  Official packages are built on the official package building
cluster.  The certainly aren't built by random port maintainers who may
be of particularly uncertain provenance and are not absolutely
guaranteed to have your best interests at heart.[*]

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] The requirements for becoming a port maintainer are no more
stringent than:

   * Having a working e-mail address
   * Expressing a willingness to maintain a port
   * Being able to generate a diff and attach it to a Bugzilla ticket.

It's down to ports committers to verify that there's nothing untoward
about what they commit to the ports.  The requirements on
authenticating/identifying yourself when becoming a ports committer are
rather stricter than for a port maintainer.