Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 17:06:18 -0500
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Keith Woodman <keith@lightningweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confusion

Good point, I've been wondering the same thing.
One thing to keep in mind though is that to a "code god" finding out that the
code had one comment line out of place means the entire system is a piece of
junk and needs to be updated. Hype cuts both ways. (IMHO)

But you still have a good point. To those who don't cvsup every few days the
CD's need to be rock solid OS releases that can be used for a relatively long
time. I don't know how well the current system works, I cvsup fairly often, but
IMHO this is a concern that needs to be addressed whenever a release is being
considered. Not to say that I think it isn't currently, I'm just saying that it
should be.

Shouldn't this be in freebsd-chat?
-Brandon

Keith Woodman wrote:

> Read this with the understanding that in the grand scheme of FreeBSD, I am
> a complete nobody. I'm just a consumer of the product and run a couple
> servers on it. I'm not a kernel hacker, or a source code god of any sort.
>         After following the discussion regarding the releases of product.
> I am left <as a consumer>, wondering what is considered a sound product to
> install on a machine. The frequency of CD releases leaves me wondering.
> "well what was wrong in the last version they said was the next
> kewlest thing". Was it hyped to much? was it a lie? And what is wrong with
> a simple patch? I have machines running on 3.0 now that I am informed
> should be upgraded to 3.1 ASAP. And 3.0 given the length of time it
> has been out, would be considered NEW. I just would like to have a system
> that I can install, and keep alive for a good period of time without every
> person in every group answering my questions with "You need to upgrade
> to the newest release". That is all fine and dandy for people that want
> to track things closely. But, most people that use FreeBSD don't do
> that. We are like any other consumer. Just wanting a product that will
> withstand more than 3 months time. And is still supported on the site to
> some extent.
>         Come to find out, after installing my systems via ftp. I can't get
> a 3.0 CD anyplace. I called cdrom.com and they said they stoped carrying
> it as soon as 3.1 came out. This leaves people like me hanging out to dry
> and wondering why it is this way. And, I am either blind or correct in
> saying that 3.0-RELEASE is not on the ftp.freebsd.com server any more.
> This to a consumer is very disheartening. It's like buying a car and being
> told a month later that "it's not all that was advertised the month
> before. And oh by the way. We're not carrying that model anymore".
>         My question to anyone that would care to answer is this.
> Is it advisable to upgrade my SMP machines that are running 3.0 to 3.1 or
> do I wait for what is being called the fix for 3.1,   3.2 ?
> It breaks some of the confidence in the product being used to read some of
> these posts. To learn that the big hype of a product you just installed is
> already being considered out of date and broken. Is 3.0 realy all that
> bad? And if so, why was it ever considered for release?
> Sorry if I ticked anyone off or spoke out of turn. Just would like some
> stability in my OS of choice. I can't imagine what it must be like for
> people even greener then me.
>
> Thank you.
> Keith

bfoz@starfleet.umd.edu
"In life there are those who steer, and those who push"
"I'm not impatient, the world is too slow"
"Life is short, so have fun, play hard, and leave a good looking corpse"