Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 1997 16:04:11 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        A Joseph Koshy <koshy@india.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Build failure: DOSCMD uses -Bstatic -lX11

On Aug 08, 1997 at 03:16:16PM +0530, A Joseph Koshy wrote:

> Running -current as of a day back:
>
> DOSCMD used -Bstatic for its compiles, and tries to link with -lX11
> if ${X11BASE} is present.
>
> By default the XFree86 lib/ directory contains only shared libraries
> (the static versions of the libraries are packaged in the programmers
> bundle X33prog.tgz).
>
> This is an added dependency to the build process.  Why do we need -lX11
> to build the doscmd kernel?

It doesn't require X11 to be built, per se.  However, X11 support is a
compile-time option, so I tried to get smart, and automatically compile
in X11 support if ${X11BASE} was present.  The other option would be
to always compile it without X, which I dislike.

Perhaps I should make the X11 compile option dependent on the existence
of both ${X11BASE}/lib/libX11.a, and ${X11BASE}/include?
--
Jonathan