Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 03:51:30 +0300
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: alias ( secondary IP ) for Ethernet Ifaces in FreeBSD

   >What's the summary here?  Is someone upset about a gated bug, a
   >FreeBSD bug or a little of both?  Background details please!  Thanks!

   IP aliasing doesn't seem to work when gated is running. Mr Corston
   complained that he had sent a bug report to the FreeBSD people and got no

If IP aliasing here means two separate networks behind the same interface,
it seems to work for us (all FreeBSD (current), OSFP, gated (latest alpha -
1, I think)):

sysconfig: ifconfig_ed4="inet 194.100.8.254 netmask 255.255.255.0 alias
194.100.9.254 netmask 255.255.255.0"

rc.local: ifconfig ed4 alias 194.100.9.254 netmask 255.255.255.0

I don't know why the first alias doesn't get through, but the second one
seems to find its way to gated (I think I PR'd this).  The both networks
194.100.8 and 194.100.9 are advertised.

   response and wasn't happy. I told him that I think that the problem has more
   to do with gateD than FreeBSD, and that it should not be the responsibility
   of an O/S to conform to an Application.  I've talked to some of the

Operating systems should converge towards common standards, so that
applications no more need to be ported.  That is what I have thought to be
one of the primary advantages of UNIX, and that is what I have thought what
operating systems are all about.  If applications are doing things too OS
specific, it almost always seems to be interface problem (lack of common
interface, usually).  But I don't know if this is true with routing code,
and would like to see examples how gated is doing things wrong and how it
really should do them.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN