Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2020 20:21:11 +0100
From:      "Rollniak (Yan)" <freebsd@yanthiery.me>
To:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to install Terminfo

I found a work around on internet, that doesn't fix the problem with
termcap anyway.

Here a little overview:

I use Alacritty on a OpeSUSE machine, i have fresh installed a FreeBSD.
Im my first ty to use my FreeBSD server i get this kind of messages :

$ tmux
open terminal failed: can't find terminfo database
$ vi
vi: No terminal database found

I have tried to import the alacritty terminfo (
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/alacritty/alacritty/master/extra/alacritty.info
).

   $ echo $TERM
   alacritty
   $ curl -O
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/alacritty/alacritty/master/extra/alacritty.info
   $ infotocap alacritty.info >> /usr/share/misc/termcap
   $ cd /usr/share/misc/
   $ cap_mkdb -f terminfo terminfo
   $ date
   $ ls -l terminfo.db # check of the last mofification

Then i logged out and logged in but nothing changes. so this part still
doesn't work...

The workaround is to set TERM as xterm-256color is the .shrc on FreeBSD.
I'm not reallly happy with that. if you have some idea to get this fix
done with termcap. :)

> I don't understand why, as root, i was able to successfull redirect a
> stream form infotocap to `/usr/share/misc/termcap` (the file is on
> read only for everyone), but i needed to add `write` permission to
> delete them.

For this part it was the fact that vi check permission and i forget to
use the exclamation mark in my command to write and exit.

best regards
--
Rollniak (Yan)