Date:      Mon, 24 Dec 2001 11:19:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Ulf Kister <Ulf.Kister@t-online.de>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make buildkernel fails on behalf of config version

On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, Doug White wrote:
> Congratulations! You've just discovered that FreeBSD is not like Linux.
> You must upgrade your userland and kernel at the same time, or you will
> run into things like this that are meant to catch miscreants.
>
> Hold out your hand.  *SLAP*

Uh, that might be true in current, but that better not be true about
STABLE.  Unless there's a note in /usr/src/UPDATING that would apply, one
should expect to be able to make a kernel independently from world, even
after doing a make update and getting fresher sources.

I had to do a time-critical install Wednesday night, so I installed from
4.4-RELEASE floppies, and in /usr/src did a make update && make
buildkernel KERNCONF=taz3 && make installkernel KERNCONF=taz3.  Had I been
forced to also build world it would have added a good two hours to the
install process.  I made sure to read /usr/src/UPDATING thoroughly to look
for any API changes that would have necessitated building world and didn't
see any.

As it is, I'm worried about the other note I saw on this list about
netinet changes that didn't appear to be documented un /usr/src/UPDATING.

	Brian