Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:22:51 -0000
From:      "Martyn Hill" <martyn_hill@lineone.net>
To:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Netgear Access Point and FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE - ARP conflict

Dear all

Through desperation and lack of response from Netgear, I re-submit this
query/cry for help...

Just to re-cap, our school FreeBSD box acting as a gateway to an ADSL router
periodically 'falls off' the network. A second FreeBSD box (sjserver)
reports the following error:

Jan 10 16:29:51 sjserver /kernel: arp: 10.0.0.200 moved from
00:30:ab:0a:df:4f to 00:a0:c9:69:7c:2f on fxp0
Jan 10 16:50:06 sjserver /kernel: arp: 10.0.0.200 moved from
00:a0:c9:69:7c:2f to 00:30:ab:0a:df:4f on fxp0
Jan 10 16:59:33 sjserver /kernel: arp: 10.0.0.200 moved from
00:30:ab:0a:df:4f to 00:a0:c9:69:7c:2f on fxp0

The IP 10.0.0.200 (really) belongs to the FreeBSD gateway (MAC starting
00:0a), but its ARP table entry is grabbed by either of two Access Points
(in this case, MAC starting 00:30), IP 10.0.2.2.

I include my original submission below.

Any guidance would be invaluable...

Our new school network is running 2 FreeBSD boxes at 4.4Stable - one as a
gateway to our ADSL link and another as an SMB fileserver/squid proxy. Both
boxes use Intel Pro 10/100B NICs - the gateway having 2 identical cards
installed on different sub-nets (1 internal, 1 external as you'ld imagine.)

Having purchased a couple of Netgear ME102 Wireless Access Points to extend
the network infrastructure (via Allied Telesyn 10/100 switch), we experience
consistent difficulties when either of the 2 APs are put on-line.

In either case, the ARP tables get in a muddle (my language exposes my lack
of understanding) and the MAC address of the AP is swapped with that of the
Intel NIC in the gateway FreeBSD box (internal subnet.) This shows up as
lack of connection to the gateway box (that hosts DHCP and named services)
and can be seen when trying to telnet from the other FreeBSD box into the
gateway - the ARP references that pop-up indicate that the IP address is
oscilating between the MAC address for the AP and the gateway box.

The AP has a fixed IP address, set through a USB connection from a Windows
client and has a very distinct MAC address from anything else on the
network.

Our wireless network is thus practically useless until I can resolve this
(inbetween teaching, system administration and IT co-ordination...)

Any advice would be welcome!

Best Regards
Martyn Hill
ICT Teacher and IT Co-ordinator