Date:      Sun, 03 Apr 2011 16:29:23 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Constant rebooting after power loss

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 13:04:54 +0100
Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk> wrote:

> On 01/04/2011 16:47, Stefan `Sec` Zehl wrote:
>
> > If you want to get rid of the reboot loop, set:
> >
> > background_fsck="NO"
> >
> > Then it will either come up, or ask for help if anything fails.
>
> I realise that people like having systems that come up quickly after a
> crash, but is it worth reconsidering disabling background fsck by
> default since it can cause issues like this?

Based _only_ on my own experience, and personal preference, I would say
"NO".

The reason?
It works nicely the way it is now, and any problems will be noticed,
and can be fixed with a bit of effort, even for a person with little
experience in running FreeBSD machines.

One of the reasons that I like FreeBSD is that it gives me tools I
need, but it doesn't try to automate or abstract away my responsiblites
as a system administrator.

I think the FreeBSD project has managed something impressive; being a
platform for bringing in new ideas / tools, and at the same time
staying conservative (POLA, and well thought out changes).

I like that.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen