Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 1995 15:08:19 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Quotas over NFS

>Hi...
>
>	Okay, trying to come up with a definitive answer here, or some sort
>of semblance of it...What happens with Quotas over NFS-mounts :)
>
>	Test NFS server v2.1-STABLE machine
>	Test NFS client v2.2-CURRENT machine
>
>	On the client machine:
>
>	It truncates the file, but gives no warnings/error messages at
>all.  This, I think, could be construed as being worse overall then leaving
>Quotas turned off altogether, since a user would never know his quota is
>exceeded.
>
>	Is anyone working on fixing this?  This is *duck* one point in favor
>of BSDi over FreeBSD right now...BSDi does give an error message if you
>attempt to exceed your quota from an NFS mounted machine (the error message
>eludes me at this time).  Does anyone know if NetBSD has support for this?

Any system that gives "quota exceeded" type error messages on NFS mounted
filesytems has an rpc.rquotad implementation.  NetBSD has one.  We're about
to import NetBSD's and it looks like BSDI has one already.  I'm not sure
about the amount of glue required in the kernel once we have the daemon in
the tree, but it is WIP.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations