Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 03:18:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
To:        Peter Marelas <maral@webnet.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: routing question

On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, Peter Marelas wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, -Vince- wrote:

> > > The linux NET-2-HOWTO explains gated and has an example gated.conf
> >
> > 	Hmmm, okay... What does gated do exactly?  Since what I want to
> > do is for the class C network addresses that needs to route through the
> > FreeBSD box, how do we advertise so the routing tables for the rest of
> > the net will know how to get to us?  Thanks!
>
> It "routes" :)

	Simple enough =)

> You use the "RIP" (Routing Information Protocol) protocol.
> This allows for dynamic routing, where routers talk to each other via UDP,
> exchanging information on what networks each router is connected to.
> This allow the routing daemon (gated) to update the kernel's routing
> tables with information it receives.

	Hmmm, where does RIP send this information to after the router since
I thought it had to reach the net somewhere..

> ie. routes are added and deleted dynamically, so changes in network are
>     propegated via RIP to other routers.

	Oh okay...

> routed supports RIP only.
> gated supports IGP, EGP and RIP.
>
> You can check to see if a router is advertising the network its attached
> to by using ripquery that comes with gated.
>
> example..
>
> jazzy# ripquery 203.8.105.28
> 24 bytes from iris.webnet.com.au(203.8.105.28) to 203.21.35.254 version 1:
>         203.8.105.0      metric  1
>
> For more information on RIP read RFC1058.

	Oh okay.  Thanks! =)

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@COSC.GOV - GUS Mailing Lists Admin - http://www.COSC.GOV/~vince
UC Berkeley AstroPhysics - Electrical Engineering (Honorary B.S.)
Chabot Observatory & Science Center - Board of Advisors
Running FreeBSD - Real UN*X for Free!
Linda Wong/Vivian Chow/Hacken Lee/Danny Chan/Priscilla Chan Fan Club
Mailing Lists Admin