Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:52:02 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "John Baldwin" <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Gilbert Gong" <ggong@cal.alumni.berkeley.edu>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.org>, "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jeremiah@sherline.com>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Advocacy?

John writes:

> No.  Stop being paranoid.

It's not paranoid at all.  Ever _read_ those employment contracts you sign
when you hire on as a software engineer?  Even when your employer doesn't
claim rights to whatever you write outright, you may still be required to
give him first crack at buying any code you write, which can interfere with
writing anything intended to be open-source.  Having a software company
claim rights on a chunk of FreeBSD because of such an agreement would be a
very, very serious problem.

> It's not that unsual for people writing
> Unix software.

In that case they can run whatever they want on the desktop.  I've written
stuff for my FreeBSD box with Visual C++, and then just moved it over with
FTP to compile it.  The Visual C++ editor and IDE are extremely ergonomic.
In some cases, I can also compile and test on Windows, although that is
somewhat of an exception to the rule.

> Spin mutexes in the kernel don't need to actually
> have a lock to spin against since the disabling
> of interrupts that they perform is sufficient
> protection.

What about multiprocessor systems?  What about unmaskable interrupts?

I prefer spinning against locks, myself.  Better safe than sorry.

> It doesn't, because they aren't that different.

If it makes no distinction, it cannot give either type of process
preference.

> The way it works is that when a process
> performs I/O, it's priority gets bumped if it
> blocks waiting for I/O, and processes get
> "punished" for using the CPU.

What a striking innovation.