Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:34:39 -0600
From:      Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        kuriyama@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        FreeBSD-Sparc64 <sparc64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   snmpnetstat, from net-mgmt/net-snmp, behaves differently on sparc than x86

Howdy,

(I pulled your email address from the port Makefile, I hope you don't
 mind the direct email. I also cc'd freebsd-sparc@ because it seemed
 likely to be a sparc64 related issue).

I've set up net-snmp on both a i386 -current machine and a sparc64
-current machine. Both ports where compiled from ports today, both after
a fresh cvsup.

[root@thoth]# uname -a
FreeBSD thoth.seekingfire.com 6.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT #1: Wed Jan 12 19:30:40 CST 2005 toor@thoth.seekingfire.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/THOTH  i386

[root@caliban]# uname -a
FreeBSD caliban.rospa.ca 6.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Jan 13 21:49:32 CST 2005 toor@caliban.rospa.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CALIBAN  sparc64

snmpnetstat seems to behave differently on the two hosts. For example:

[root@thoth]# snmpnetstat -v 2c -c rig -r -n thoth | grep tl0 | head -3
10.1.4/24                  192.168.23.30      UG      tl0
10.42/16                   192.168.23.30      UG      tl0
192.168                    192.168.23.30      UG      tl0

[root@thoth]# snmpnetstat -v 2c -c rig -r -n caliban | grep hme | head -3
default                    0.0.0.0            UG      hme0
default                    0.0.0.0            U       hme0
default                    0.0.0.0            U       hme0

Basically all networks and gateway IPs appear as 0.0.0.0 from the
sparc64 host. I've snipped the output because my routing tables are
close to 50 lines long each :-)

I demonstrated this from the i386 host "thoth" because it's the host that
I'll be using to monitor snmpnetstat from but the same problem manifests
if I do it from the sparc64 host "caliban". That is to say, it sees the
"real" IPs and networks from thoth but when I snmpnetstat caliban from
caliban itself it also sees 0.0.0.0 for all routes.

Is this a known problem? If not, can I be of assistance in
trouble-shooting it?

Thanks for your time,

- Tillman

--
"Learning isn't a means to an end; it is an end in itself."
    -- Robert Heinlein