Date:      Thu, 08 Jun 2006 09:01:31 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        danial_thom@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   generic kernel doesn't boot without ppc? (was: Generic Kernel suggestion)

Danial Thom schrieb:
> It seems that Freebsd 6.1 (and likely others
> versions as well) will hang when booted on a
> machine with no parallel port. Since many newer
> MBs are leaving the PP off due to lack of
> interest, it might be a good idea to fix this,
> since the point of a GENERIC kernel is that its a
> superset of what's needed in most cases.

I think you mean a missing parallel port controller (ppc) instead of
missing parallel ports, because I deactivated my parallel ports and it
works without problems (ppc0: parallel port not found.).

This might be an interesting issue that need further investigation. I
think it will get lost at questions@ thus I posted it to current@.

Björn