Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 1995 08:35:48 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@Shockwave.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do we *really* need logger(1)?

On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, Paul Traina wrote:

> If your disk fills up, you want syslog to be able to operate until it goes to
> 110%.  Unless you run as root or modify the kernel, you lose.

    No, you want messages created by root-owned processes to fill your disk
to 110% (not that it's a good thing in any case, especially if /var is the
same filesystem as /).  What we need is credential checking in the syslog()
call and syslogd daemon.  I imagine any ISP that offers shell access and uses
the default syslog.conf is susceptible to a prankster sending *.emerg level
notices and getting syslogd to write "SYSTEM REBOOT, LOG OFF NOW!" to the
ttys of every online user.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org