Date:      Fri, 11 May 2018 08:08:50 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Manish Jain <jude.obscure@yandex.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: A request for release engineering

On Thu, 10 May 2018 23:45:02 +0530
Manish Jain <jude.obscure@yandex.com> wrote:

> But since installing afresh demands a whole effort, I request that
> FreeBSD reduce its new releases to one per year, while the support
> period is increased to 3 years per release.
>
> Does this sound like a good request to others too ?

	To be completely honest I would prefer that the development and
release engineering teams run at a cadence that suits them (which AFAIK
they do).

	I've never needed to re-install just to move up a major version
bump, I do wipe the packages and re-install them but that's not too
painful. I usually jump versions around the n.1 release upgrading in
reverse order of importance since it's a home setup with no staging
environment to test in.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>