Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:05:02 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.8-PRERELEASE 'hangs' nightly like clockwork ...

For the past few nights, since I "fixed" the KVA_PAGES issue, the server
seems to be hanging almost like clockwork ... plus or minus a bit, but is
around 23hrs or so since the last hang (or, around 9pm CST, not sure which
one is the 'trigger') ...

top, from last nights, shows:

last pid: 44187;  load averages:  0.29, 11.36, 19.195   up 1+00:11:55  22:04:00
3173 processes:1 running, 3150 sleeping, 22 zombie
CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  8.6% system,  0.6% interrupt, 90.8% idle
Mem: 2335M Active, 426M Inact, 595M Wired, 205M Cache, 199M Buf, 5860K Free
Swap: 2048M Total, 495M Used, 1553M Free, 24% Inuse

now, I got the folks down at Rackspace to do a ctl-alt-esc and 'panic',
and it dumps core, if that helps any ... a gdb on the core file just tells
me that a panic was issued from the key board ... the top session above
continued to run up until they issued the ctl-alt-sec, as does a ping to
the server, so it looks like those processes resident in memory do continu
to run ...

I'm using netdump to dump core to a second machine, since I don't have
sufficient swap space to dump to the local machine ...

So, I'm kind of at a loss as to what to look at next, and/or report ... is
there something I can look for in the core?  Or is it a hardware issue (I
know that that is always the easiest blame, and hardest to debug)?  Or ...