Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 17:01:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hesiod support on 2.2

> On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC wrote:
>
> > DNS wasn't really designed with a highly volatile dataset in mind.  If
> > it takes a day or two for the existence of a new workstation to trickle
> > across the net, that's generally not too bad, but if it takes a day or
> > two for my new password to trickle across the net, I cannot reliably
> > predict if I can login or not.
>
> However, password support in Athena was designed to be distributed using
> Kerberos, not Hesiod.  In a large system, a lag-time of a day for account
> creation across 5,000 workstations is not so bad.

One of the customers that drove the design of the system I worked on
was a large automotive design department*.  They had 20,000
workstations and 2,000 servers, and wanted user account changes
propagated to the user's "home" domain within one minute, and all
domains the user was defined on in 15 minutes (assuming no connectivity
interruptions).  New account creations had to be filled within 5
minutes and one hour, respectively.

Given the performance our "job starter" in STK experienced in this same
setting, I think we could have done it.

This was a cool tool to work on, it's too bad the company didn't have
the vision to complete it.  Imagine creating a new user in the
'accounting' work group by saying the equivalent of "new user 'shelley'
is just like 'stacey', except her name is 'Shelly Beancounter' and her
extension is 4073."  Her account is automgically created on all systems
that Staceys is defined on, with identical access hours, quotas, etc.