Date:      Fri, 22 Apr 2016 13:20:28 +0200
From:      Kristof Provost <kp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mailman in a jail

> On 22 Apr 2016, at 13:11, Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in> wrote:
>> The main gotcha with Mailman is that it defaults to supporting =
Sendmail.
>> It actually needs to be rebuilt to work with postfix. That's the =
first
>> thing to look at. Did you install from ports or with pkg?
>=20
> I built it with poudriere using the Postfix option.=20
>=20
Okay, that=E2=80=99s good. I did exactly the same ;)

It=E2=80=99s not quite clear to me if your problem is getting Postfix to =
deliver to mailman, or mailman to postfix.

In my setup the list is on a separate (virtual) domain, and uses an =
aliases file=20
(alias_maps =3D hash:/etc/aliases, =
hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases).
That file is maintained by mailman and will have things like 'test:      =
       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test=E2=80=9D=E2=80=99 in =
it.

Return delivery (i.e. mailman sending mail) is done using the DirectSMTP =
module. My =E2=80=98SMTPHOST=E2=80=99 is set to the hostname of the jail =
(so to an IP address the postfix is listening on). If you=E2=80=99ve =
still got that set to the default of =E2=80=98localhost=E2=80=99 that =
might also explain your problems.
It might also be worth playing with telnet inside the jail and =
confirming that you can talk to your postfix that way.

Regards,
Kristof