Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 23:34:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@gt.ed.net>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        rhh@ct.picker.com, yjin@cs.ucla.edu, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fxtv

Steve Passe wrote...
> >However, still HRC is not supported, but at this time even
> >channel 2 doesn't show up. I change to IRC. Then I can change the
> >channels, but only channel 5 and channel 6 can be received correctly.
> >And It seems that I can receive the voice of other channels, but not
> >video.
>
> There is no support for HRC, primarily because I didn't have a clue to what
> frequencies it uses.

	Well, I had the same experience with HRC.  I used the link off the
BT848 home page with the tuner frequencies as a starting point:

http://gemma.apple.com/dev/technotes/tn/tn1012.html#RTFToC4

	(I used the frequencies listed under "US Cable Channels")  I believe
the cable frequencies listed are, in general, about 1.25 off for HRC.  (I
think if you subtract 1.25, you'll get the right frequency.  It could be
the other way around, though.)  The only exception to that "rule" that I
found was that channel 34 was off.  I had to sort of search around for the
right frequency for it.  BTW, I think I went by the "display" channel in
the third column rather than the "channel" in the first column for the
channel numbers.  (so they'd be like the ones my TV and VCR use.  Who uses
"W+14" anyway?)

	I created a table of channels and frequencies, and made a little
command line tuner program based on freq.c that changed channels for me.

	The reason I'm being so vague here is that my computer is boxed up
(I'm moving) and I won't be able to get to it for a couple of weeks.  If
y'all are still in the dark about HRC frequencies in a week or two, let me
know and I'll forward out my frequency table.  (and the slightly modified
version of freq.c as well..)

Hope this helps,

Ken
--