Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 95 20:27:26 CST
From:      "David Kelly" <dkelly@iquest.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@violet.berkeley.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fwd from net

>My current project is to, as the only person with ANY UNIX experience at all,
>set up a FreeBSD 2.0R machine (done) with PPP support so that my boss and I
>can call in from home with Trumpet Winsock running PPP.  I followed the PPP
>FAQ that appears on the WWW page.  The modem will autoanswer, but nothing
>happens.  Is it working, and I just don't know how to start it, or did I miss
>something else.  I looked at the SLIP Server FAQ - it assumed that I know how
>to set up a modem for dial-in access, but I don't, and can't find any
>documentation on how to do it.  Where do I look?

Maybe I can get you started, I've not done it on FreeBSD, but other machines,
you need to have either getty or uugetty or agetty running on your dial-in
port. Before PPP can work you have to have a functioning plain old dial-in
functioning.

The primary difference between getty and uugetty, is uugetty knows how to
be interupted politely for using the port for dial out.

On System V machines getty is started with /etc/inittab. FreeBSD is not
SysV, it uses /etc/getttytab or something similar. Check man on getty.
Also check man for init.

In the past when I had a system with 4 dial in modems I gave up on native
support of the Silicon Graphics version of Unix for the modems (actually
gave up auto-AT commanding them) and sat down with their manual, started
with a factory fresh reset, then proceeded to set everything the way I
wanted for the modem to be as transparent as possible. I wanted to modem
to lock on a single baud rate between it and my SGI. I wanted full modem
and flow control handshake on the serial line. No XON/XOFF. No command mode
echo from the modem. No Hayes-patented +++ escape allowed. No "RINGING"
prompt from the modem. On incoming call, the modem asserted DCD, in reply
the SGI asserted DTR. Then RTS/CTS kept each other from over running. When
the line was dropped, SGI dropped DTR and killed the running process/shell.
When the user exited and the shell quit, SGI dropped DTR and the modem
hung up and dropped DCD. And it all started over again. Worked so damn good
I never had to attend to it again except to add more modems.

Programmed my options into one of 4 configuration presets provided by the
modem. It would respond to the AT command set when there wasn't a phone
connection so it could be placed in "regular" mode. Every time I pick up
a modem manual, I look for a single command to put a modem in the mode I
just describe, but don't see any. Once had a 1200 baud modem that had a
"dumb" jumper that did just what I described.

good luck
--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@iquest.com
The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its capacity