Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:04:40 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
Cc:        docs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: leftover pseudo-devices

Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net> writes:
> as -current's NOTES seems to no longer support pseudo-devices, we should
> get the docs up to snuff. Grepping /usr/src for pseudo-device turns up
> the following. I hesitate to simply s/pseudo-device/device/g and commit
> the changes. Could the maintainers of these files please have a look at
> what needs to be done. Thanks!

I'm not a maintainer of any of this stuff, but I do have a few comments.

> ./contrib/ipfilter/ip_fil.c: * Try to detect the case when compiling for NetB
> SD with pseudo-device
> ./contrib/libpcap/inet.c:	 * The pseudo-device "any" listens on all inter
> faces and therefore
> ./contrib/ntp/kernel/README:     pseudo-device  tty 4  # TTY clock support
> ./contrib/ntp/kernel/README:     pseudo-device  tty 4  # TTY clock support

You probably shouldn't touch stuff in contrib/ or risk being shot.
Instead, submit it to the maintainers (but you probably already knew
that).

> [snip]
> ./share/man/man4/bpf.4:.Cd pseudo-device bpf
> ./share/man/man4/ccd.4:.Cd "pseudo-device ccd 4"

You can probably regexp the manpages, but look at the diffs to make
sure that what results is still coherent.  For example, in some cases
it's still appropriate to call something a pseudo-device even though
that's not what's used in the kernel config.  Case in point:

> ./sys/sys/mdioctl.h: * Ioctl definitions for memory disk pseudo-device.

md(4) is still a pseudo-device; it's just not defined that way anymore.

Other than that, I'd stay away from modifying source files unless it's
in a comment.  Overall I think it's something that should probably be
done, esp. in the man pages and share/ files; the comments aren't so
important.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org