Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 02:17:39 -0500
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Regular Expression Syntax - SOLVED

in message <004f01c19f6f$d72336c0$c42a6ba5@lc.ca.gov>,
wrote Drew Tomlinson thusly...

> 4.  And finally, Kent Stewart figured out what I was attempting to do
> and suggested deleting all packages, installing CVSUP from packages, and
> then installing portupgrade and all of it's dependencies.

ah, of course, for kent is the mind reader!

> Thank you all for helping me learn to tie all of the basics together to
> perform more complex commands.  Now I'm *REALLY* starting to understand
> and appreciate the power of FBSD.

in the spirit of above,  the equivalent original command...

pkg_info | awk '! /portupgrade|cvsup/ {print "pkg_deinstall " $1}'

...couldn't have worked by itself, unless passed to shell
(untested)...

pkg_info | awk '! /portupgrade|cvsup/ {print "pkg_deinstall " $1}' | sh

...or executed in a script.  same difference.  a better way
to write the above -- not necessarily a better way for
maintaining installed ports -- would be (untested)...

pkg_info | awk '! /portupgrade|cvsup/ {print $1}' | xargs pkg_deinstall -f

and i pray,
i haven't mislead thee
anymore.

if so,