Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 2016 07:40:52 -0800
From:      Navdeep Parhar <nparhar@gmail.com>
To:        Marcus Cenzatti <cenzatti@hush.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chelsio T520-SO-CR low performance (netmap tested) for RX

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 03:34:27AM -0200, Marcus Cenzatti wrote:
> hello,
>
> I am testing a chelsio t520-so-cr connected to a Intel card with ix(4)
> driver, I can get the ncxl0 interface to transmit at 14Mpps to another
> chelsio or to a Intel card. However I can only get 800Kpps-1Mpps for
> RX tests from both chelsio or Intel.
>
> I have test with both FreeBSD 11 and FreeBSD 10.3-PRERELEASE.
>
> I tested it untuned first and later I have applied tuning
> recommendations I found on BSDRP[1] website. Results still ranging
> from 800Kpps to 1Mpps for RX.
>
> Tests are done w/ with pkt-gen in netmap mode on ncxl interface with
> both IP address and MAC address source/dest.

The ncxl interfaces have their own MAC addresses.  Make sure the sender
uses the MAC of the receiver's ncxl interface as the destination MAC.
(netmap's pkt-gen -f tx transmits L2 broadcasts by default).

Check for PAUSE frames coming out of the receiver (sysctl dev.cxl | grep
tx_pause).  If it's receiving frames on netmap interface the tx_pause
counter should not move.

Regards,
Navdeep