Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 10:32:08 +1000
From:      Christopher Vance <vance@aurema.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, perl5-porters@perl.org
Subject:   Re: Save a few hunderd kilobytes or a few hundred perl users?

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 10:29:00PM +0100, Mark Murray wrote:
: > NetBSD (I) used to separate out Perl into a separate "miniperl" package +
: > extensions, but I gave up on doing this because it was just getting to be
: > a maintainence headache -- with every Perl release, I had to wade through
: > a different module list to see what should be removed and what should stay
: > and I just got fed up with the extra work.  This is a lose for some of our
: > platforms that just don't have a lot of disk space to spare, e.g.
: > NetBSD/hpcmips.  With a Perl + Perl Library setup, we could more easily
: > control via a package system which modules are installed in a simpler,
: > more additive way.

NetBSD (-current, at least) does not have perl in the base.  OpenBSD
has 5.6.<something>.

Perhaps FreeBSD could benefit from following NetBSD, and use awk or
whatever to replace the perl stuff for kernel build and wherever else.

People who actually want perl could then install a miniperl package
and as many modules as they need or like, up to and including the very
latest full-bloat^H^Hwn version, if desired.

I used to write lots of (relatively simple) perl, mostly without using
many of the presupplied modules, but now I tend towards Python for
many (but not all) of those tasks.

--
Christopher Vance