Date:      Tue, 2 Sep 1997 16:50:27 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: games uid->gid does too much damage! Who ever got this idea and why?

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> This is from OpenBSD., I assumed their code was there for a
> reason; and on thinking this through, I actually found a fairly good
> reason for it to be there - this allow an administrator to move around
> which games are hidden and not without compromising any security.  Is
> there any good reason why they SHOULDN'T be there?

Because it is obvious bloating for non-games. DM stuff designed to
restrict access to real games which are non-acceptable at work time f.e.
Besides this it is to hard to imagine things like 'random' or 'bcd' can be
played from hour to hour and occupe work time, but it is easy to imagine
that 'random' can be used as utility. When we move all possible games
under DM and exclude all utilities from it, it will be easy to flexible
tune DM via dm.conf.  I see no real reason to bloat utilities in case some
strange administrator decide to move them under DM. He may move /bin/cat
under DM too.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@null.net>