Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 1995 14:57:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        kaleb@x.org (Kaleb S. KEITHLEY)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: option XSERVER deprecated?

> No, apparently not. I notice that the GENERIC config in 2.1.0R had
> option XSERVER commented out. Yet a (very) cursory look at the kernel
> sources shows that XSERVER is still used and pcvt* is built differently
> when it's defined.

Erm, I think it is pcvt that needs to be "modernised" (he said and
ducked under the table)...

I see NO reason why one should build a console without X support
(unless one wants to save bytes, it would give one K or thereabout
more is better found in other places)..

> (The X server did run on the GENERIC kernel just long enough build my
> own kernel. I didn't try switching VTs though.)

Of cause it did, the GENERIC kernel uses syscons..

> Can I suggest that the kernel use the opposite logic, i.e. assume there
> will be an X server and build accordingly? And for those who don't run X
> there should be an option NOXSERVER.

That would be far better logic, yes...

> If I did the work would it be accepted and incorporated into the next
> release?

 Joerg - JOERG !!    :)

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.