Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:53:49 -0300 (EST)
From:      Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PAM + pppd + Radius(2)

Hi,

Now I've solved modules problem with pppd. My pam.conf is this:

login   auth    sufficient      pam_skey.so
login   auth    requisite       pam_cleartext_pass_ok.so
login   auth    required        pam_unix.so	try_first_pass
ppp     auth    required        pam_unix.so	try_first_pass

When I try use original pppd with PAP authentication it works fine. But
when I use recompiled pppd (using -DUSE_PAM in Makefile), pppd returns
"Authentication failure":

pppd[1692]: rcvd [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="?????" password="********"]
pppd[1692]: PAP login failure for ?????
pppd[1692]: sent [PAP AuthNak id=0x1 "Authentication failure"]
pppd[1692]: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Authentication failed"]
pppd[1692]: rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
pppd[1692]: Connection terminated, connected for 1 minutes

I'm using getty with ":de#3:pp=/usr/local/etc/pwin:" and my pwin script
is:

/usr/sbin/pppd debug idle 1200 -detach modem crtscts netmask
255.255.255.128 auth login +pap dns1 200.249.195.3 dns2 200.249.195.5
domain nlink.com.br.

I've tried radius athentication with login (pam_radius.so in pam.conf) and
it works fine. But with my pppd radius and unix authentication don't work.

Are there any bugs with PAM in pppd? Am I doing anything wrong?

Why pppd works fine without -DUSE_PAM and when I use same pppd
source compiled with -DUSE_PAM it doesn't work (without chaging the conf
files)?

Can anyone help me to configure (re-compile) pppd work with PAM?

Thanks,
Paulo Fragoso.

------
"  ... Overall we've found FreeBSD to excel in performace, stability,
technical support, and of course price. Two years after discovering
FreeBSD, we have yet to find a reason why we switch to anything else"
						-David Filo, Yahoo!