Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 06:21:41 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Pro/100+ nic

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 10:31:14PM -0500, Arcady Genkin wrote:

> Is this Pro/100+ supported? I found only reference to Intel Pro/100B
> in LINT.

From the man page for the fxp driver:

     The fxp driver provides support for the EtherExpress Pro/10, Pro/100B,
     and Pro/100+ PCI Fast Ethernet adapters based on the Intel i82557 or
     i82559 ethernet chips.

> If yes, is this card a good performer?

Sorry to say, I have ``only'' Pro/100B available to speak of.

> On a side note, any recommendations for inexpensive yet
> well-performing 100 Mbps cards? I don't mind buying second-hand.

In order of preference:

- DEC 21x4x based adapters like D-Link 500TX (not longer continued)
  (medium price, very good performance, IMO best compatibility with
  most operating systems)
- Intel EtherExpress 10/100
  (higher price, very good performance, options like wake-on-LAN
  and net-booting, I don't need them - I prefer them before anything
  else for little servers and desktops where I'm going to use NFS)
- Via-Rhine based (vr driver says, VIA VT3043 Rhine I 10/100BaseTX,
  vendor says, D-Link 530TX :-) ) (they are quite cheap and give
  some good performance, but seem to cause little higher CPU load,
  but not comparable with those RealTek based things)

Regards,

Martin
--
 /| /|        | /| /            ,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities,
/ |/ | artin  |/ |/ elk                     if you're knowing to take them,