Date:      Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:26:30 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Brandon Erhart <berhart@ErhartGroup.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FIN_WAIT_[1,2] and LAST_ACK

Brandon Erhart wrote:
[ ... ]
> Any advice on the timeouts? I don't really care about the RFC , honestly
> :-P. Like I said, I'm going for sheer speed.

My advice was to read the RFC as it contains significant discussion about
these timeouts, but you're free to disregard it if you please.

In particular, the discussion of FIN/ACK handling is relevant, since a TCP
implementation ought to move through the various FIN_WAIT states rapidly if
both sides agree to close and don't have more data to send.  Using tcpdump to
verify what's going on might help you figure out why the connections are
lingering around...

--
-Chuck