Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:49:41 -0600
From:      Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing 5.2-BETA on a Ultra 10

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 03:36:56PM +0100, Morten Rodal wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 02:47:26PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 02:08:17PM +0100, Morten Rodal wrote:
> > > This might be a stupid question, but how do I get install FreeBSD
> > > 5.2-BETA (miniinst.iso) on a Ultra 10?  After booting the CD I get
> > > 5 choices for console settings, of which none work.  None of the
> > > arrow keys, so my options are pretty much limited to "Usage"
> > > (via select) and "Exit installation".
> > >
> > > Is there something I'm missing?
> >
> > Either use a serial terminal rather than the console, or use the 'n' and
> > 'p' keys (next and previous) instead of arrow keys and live with the
> > console quirks.
> >

> Are you sure that 'n' and 'p' are the correct keys?  The only keys I
> have been able to get to work are the space, tab and enter keys.  All
> the others seem to have no effect what so ever.  The NetBSD's sparc64
> iso got the keyboard to work, is there a console driver or similar
> that can be ported?

I'm not positive that it's 'n' and 'p', no ... it's been months and
months since I last did it. It might be control-n and control-p. This
question has come up before and should be in the archives.

> As for the serial console, I am not quite sure how to do it.

I believe it's in the handbook. Essentially just hook a null modem cable
between the Sun box and a working box and `tip` or `minicom` to it (with
the keyboard unplugged on the Sun).

-T

--
How refreshing, the whinny of a packhorse unloaded of everything!
	- Zen saying