Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:17:29 +1030
From:      Benjamin Close <cisbjc@cs.unisa.edu.au>
To:        Vince Hoffman <vince.hoffman@uk.circle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Infrared support

Not knowing the specs of your built in port you might be right.
However, I use it with the build in irda port of my Dell Inspiron 8000
Laptop.
Although FreeBSD recognises that port as a serial port:

sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A

sio is the irda port of my laptop.