Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:40:08 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Annoying SCSI waiting...

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 09:34:26PM +0200, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> Can't we just reduce the annoying:
>=20
>  Waiting 15 second for SCSI devices to settle
>=20
> to something shorter like 5 seconds in GENERIC?  I know perfectly well
> where it came from but these days not many of those slow disks are
> still around.
>
> It really annoys the hell out of me waiting the 15 seconds for nothing
> each time I boot the GENERIC kernel for testing.  Sure I can change
> that in the kernel config but then it's modified.  Any why take 15
> seconds of everyone if only a very few actually need it (those with
> stone-age disk drives)?

Since I added tunables a while back, it should be safe to remove the
setting from GENERIC entierly, at least in CURRENT.  The default is
2 seconds and works fine for most applications.  You can always set
kern.cam.scsi_delay to a different value in the loader if you have
devices that need more time.

-- Brooks

PGP fingerprint 655D 519C 26A7 82E7 2529 9BF0 5D8E 8BE9 F238 1AD4

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua--