Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2012 20:51:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
To:        Ansar Mohammed <ansarm@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kerberos and FreeBSD

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Ansar Mohammed wrote:

> Going back on this topic, it seems that there are alot of things that
> are being shipped with FreeBSD that I am not sure we need in the base
> distribution.
>
> Does anyone use portalfs?

Maybe not ... per http://wiki.freebsd.org/NONMPSAFE_DEORBIT_VFS it is
scheduled for removal from the tree in September if no one gives it some
love.
For things like that, which are perhaps useful to someone, somewhere, I
see no harm in keeping them around if there is minimal effort in doing so.
But, when there comes a point where substantial effort is required for
upkeep, if there is not a visible use, removing them (with advance warning
on the order of a year) seems like the right thing to do.

We don't really have the manpower to make gratuitous changes to what's in
the tree just for the sake of making changes, and removing anything has a
chance of sparking a big flamewar.

-Ben Kaduk