Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 1997 19:42:33 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com
Cc:        Steven Ames <steve@news.cioe.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: www.edns.com

At 12:41 AM 4/7/97 -0400, C Matthew Curtin wrote:
>I'm actually not terribly pleased that IAHC is going to add new TLDs.
>The system is fine as it is, but the problem is that it isn't being
>used as it was designed, and now, instead of doing something that
>makes sense, people are out there registering dozens of domain names,
>creating a horrible waste of the namespace, etc.  Adding more TLDs
>isn't going to fix this: it just make the namespace wider...  It's
>only a matter of time before we're facing the same problem
>again... Then what, add more TLDs?

Allowing someone to register a TLD isn't a good idea.  Some the extensions
were logical, but I think the whole idea came about due to the fact that
many businesses consider the "name" of something to mean a lot.

>No, I think that the namespace should be given out a little less
>freely, at least in the "big" three-letter TLDs...  Not only is having
>lots of TLDs gross and difficult to make sense of, but it does create
>more load on the root nameservers.  (Not in the number of requests, of
>course, this will increase as long as the number of DNS lookups
>increases, but it will increase the size of the tables of domains and
>their associated root nameservers that need to be maintained.)

I can not agree more with the first point.  All these fly-by-night places
that mass mail and let the domain die.  It should be required that the
domain is paid, before it is activated.  More TLD's mean that I have to
update tables for our mail proxy.

>I'd be perfectly happy to see the TLDs all go away, except for the
>two-letter country code domains, and ".int"...

I don't see it happening, I just hope that it doesn't get out of control,
otherwise it may start to look like a listing of newsgroups.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990