Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:07:08 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        henry <henry@jot.to>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to see drive greater than 2TB under FreeBSD 5.3

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 12:53:18 -0000, henry wrote:
> I have recently been asked to attach a ~5TB external raid array to a FreeBSD
> machine.  On attaching it, FreeBSD claims it is only ~1TB in size.
>
> I have tried (in no particular order): rebooting, changing the SCSI card
> geometry munging option (does this do anything??), creating a partition
> using fdisk and gpt which covered the entirety of the disk, all to no avail.
>
> To my na?ve eyes it seems the mpt driver is not aware of "extended
> translation" however I cannot see where to fix this in the driver, or have
> any confidence in this guess!
>
> Can someone tell me where to look next?
>
> Thanks
>
> Henry
>
> Details follow:
>
> OS: FreeBSD 5.3-RC2
>
> The relevant hardware specs:
> 	Raid array: Transtec 6100 with 16 400GB SATA drives and SCSI-3
> output see:
> http://www.transtec.co.uk/GB/E/products/diskstorage/transtecPremiumRAIDs/tra
> nstec6100SATA-RAID.html
>
> 	Raid array config: I have created a single Raid-5
>
> 	SCSI card: LSI Logic LSI21320-R 64-bit PCI-X Ultra320 SCSI
> Dual-Channel Host Bus Adapter
> http://www.lsilogic.com/products/ultra320_host_bus_adapters/lsi21320.html
>

> Snippets from relevant commands:
> # dmesg
> mpt1: <LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 Adapter> port 0xe400-0xe4ff mem
> 0xfeb80000-0xfeb9ffff,0xfeba0000-0xfebbffff irq 25 at device 1.1 on pci1
> da0 at mpt1 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <transtec T6100S16R1 334B> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
> da0: 320.000MB/s transfers (160.000MHz, offset 127, 16bit), Tagged Queueing
> Enabled
> da0: 1143799MB (2342500352 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 145813C)

This is an indicator of your problem.  Basically your device is telling us
that it is only 1TB or so in size.

You need to tweak the device configuration to report the entire array size,
if it can.  Otherwise, it may be able to report multiple 1TB LUNs, and that
may be how you'll have to use it.  Hopefully the documentation will explain
things.

In order for us to recognize that the device is greater than 2TB in size,
it has to report a size of 0xffffffff for a standard READ CAPACITY(10)
command, and then we send the 16 byte version of the command to get the
true capacity.

The device isn't reporting a size anywhere close to 2TB, so it's likely
just a configuration problem with the array.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org