Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2001 23:09:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David S Strait <basilisk@umail.ucsb.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kern Secure Level

There is a little discussion about kern secure level in the 'man init'
page, but its somewhat brief.

On Kern level 1, I couldn't get X-windows to work so I wanted to lower
it.  (As it turned out later, this was the solution, and X-win worked.)

I'm running FreeBSD 4.4 REL and basically:
when kern_securelevel="0" in rc.conf, it just hops up to 1???????
But if you leave it: kern_securelevel="-1" or kern_securelevel="1", then
it will go to -1, 1 respectively.  Why on 0 does the level get bounced to
1?

Is there a *serious* security issue with kern levels -1 and 0?

Thanks.