Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 97 22:20:29 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@super.zippo.com>
To:        "amora@zoom.es" <amora@zoom.es>, "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-doc@freebsd.org" <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Spanish documentation - needed anyhow?

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997 20:22:31 +0100, Jesus A. Mora Marin wrote:

>> Will they be happy with "real" Spanish?  When I was at Tandem, we had
>> problems with our Spanish documentation because it had all been
>> translated by Mexicans, and the customers in Spain were very unhappy
>> about it.  Would they have been complaining about the difference in
>> dialect, or possibly just about the quality?
>>
>Maybe both reasons contribute to the final result.

I agree it probably was a combination of both. However I would think
quality would be a bigger factor in customer sattisfaction or lack of
it.

>But you can find differences between technical texts translated in
>Spain and South America.

I think it goes beyond that. I think there would be differences even
in text which were not translated. There simply are words which are
used more frequently in one country that in other (if used at all).

>different approaches can be used. For some reason, translators in
>South America use to be more purist when facing those neologism and
>try to find an equivalent Spanish expression.

:-)
Never thought of it, but I do like the idea of finding Spanish
equivalents instead of using the English word. I don't consider
myself a purist however. There simply are words which never existed
in Spanish and using something simmilar or equal to the English word
is not really bad (in my opinion).

>so surely we have somehow different opinions. And of course
>opinions from every people concerned with this subject are welcome
>(don't blame on us once the work is over :)

My take on it is that better to have a not so great Spanish version
than no version at all. Besides the more criticisms we get the better
we will make it.