Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:22:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      "S. David Pullara" <sdpullara@yahoo.ca>
To:        jobs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increasing my focus

--- Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Michael Smith wrote:

>> Without a green card, you need a permanent employer willing to
>> sponsor an H-1B application (moderately expensive for your
>> employer).

> FWIW: I remember looking at this about a year ago.  Canadians just
> need a special visa which they can apply for at the border.  Certain
> conditions apply.  Check out the US immigration website for details.
> I do not remember the form number you fill out, but I'm sure someone
> else will.

Maybe you're thinking of a TN1.  Here's one site with more info but
I'm sure I've seen a much more detailed one in the past.

http://www.workpermit.com/us/investor_tn.htm

I thought one of the requirements (at least for software
professionals) was a degree and a confirmed job offer.  Also, I
remember reading that just because it says the Computer industry
falls under TN1, you could be rejected when you reach the border.
E.g. "Systems Analyst" would go through but "Programmer" would
immediately be rejected.  I can't say for certain it works that way
and things may have changed since I last looked into it.  You need to
do your homework if you take this route.

Good luck
david