Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:41:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@jaguar.ir.miami.edu>
To:        Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cisco Router

Doing a clear route only clears those routes out of the table temporarily.
The routes will immediately repopulate if they are static, connected, or
being received via a routing protocol.  To permanently delete routes, you
must either remove the route from the config, or block the route at an RP
level.  IF the route is static, there should be a line that looks like:

ip route <destination network> <destination mask> <next hop>

in the config.  Simply type no then the ip route command, and the route
will disappear.  IF it is a dynamic route, things become a little
trickier.  You must first determine which protocol (rip, eigrp, ospf,
etc.) you are learning the route from, then create a distribute list, or
some other means, to block that route from being learned.  To find out how
a route is learned, do a show ip route <network>.

Joe Clarke