Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 13:47:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   vic/bt848 video corruption -- probably solved

Hi,

i finally managed to investigate a bit more the video corruption
problems that Roger, I and others were experiencing with vic and other
video apps when using the bt848 driver.

Such problems seem to cease when i set the vic 'fps' selector to the
max (30fps). I tested this on several machines -- starting vic with the
default setting (8fps) on FreeBSD 3.1 (and 3.x/4.x as well i think)
causes video corruption which show up from frequent short black lines
on a few lines at the top, to completely garbled image starting at 1/3
of the frame -- this depends on the hardware and who knows what.

In any case, I know for sure why we did not have this problem on 2.2.x
-- the FPS ioctl was not implemented/implemented differently in that
release of the bt848 driver and/or vic so moving the slide did not
affect the bt848.

Apologies are due (i think) to the PCI code maintainers who were
suspected as responsible of the misbehaviour.

Back to our regular (and now good quality) programs...

	cheers
	luigi
  Luigi RIZZO, luigi@iet.unipi.it  . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione
  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/  . Universita` di Pisa
  TEL/FAX: +39-050-568.533/522     . via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)

		  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ngc99/
====  First International Workshop on Networked Group Communication  ====