Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 1995 08:47:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs vs deleted repositories

> >> `cvs update' in /usr/src aborted due to deleted Attics in sys/i386/isa/pcvt
> >> and elsewhere.  I think the old version of cvs continued after finding such
> >> problems.  It is annoying for a long update to abort in the middle.
>
> >I take it that this happened on your local machine, since FreeFall and
> >all of my tree's updated just fine here.  Did you perhaps not use the -P
>
> It happened locally and to old checked out stuff on freefall.
>
> >option when you did the cvs co so that actually had these empty directories
> >around in your checked out copy?
>
> >It should not have even tried to traverse into there unless you failed to
> >use cvs co -P and cvs update -P in the past.  If you are not using these
> >options, please reconsider!!
>
> I didn't even know about the -P option but I thought Rod might tell me :-).

:-)  It has been mentioned a few times here and there over the years,
but really needs to go into ``Rod's FAQ on using CVS on Freefall and at
home''.

> ... `cvs co -P src/gnu/usr.bin/ogroff' gets rid of all the stub directories
> in ogroff but not ogroff/CVS.

That because the remove of . would fail on must systems, so cvs tries to
outsmart most systems and does not do ./CVS.  If you cd ..; cvs update -P;
it would remove ogroff/CVS and even ogroff.

> Why isn't -P the default?

I thought the same thing when I first figured this out, ask the cvs
mailing list, I sure don't know.