Date:      Wed, 31 Dec 2014 03:07:29 +0300
From:      Dima Veselov <kab00m@lich.phys.spbu.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Distributing upgrades to remote host

Hello!

I spent few hours on the internet and still stuck in simple
problem. I have amd64 host on FreeBSD 10-STABLE and wish it
will be able to build worlds for sparc64 hosts.
Targets are weak and busy, so I don't want them to do
much job or have much storage.

What is the right way to make proper upgrade for remote hosts?
I say proper, because I wish target host behave like build host
(mergemaster, make installworld and so on).

What I did and this don't work (not sure I understand everything):

1. I have built different objdir
MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj-sparc64/ make buildworld TARGET=sparc64
On target I got it syncronized (what is quite weird to do on long
distance) to the nearest NFS server.

2. Target won't take NFS path like /net/nfsserver/export/freebsd-src
because of different path treat

3. If I mount NFS in /usr/obj (what is strange) - target won't take
'make' command due to amd64 tools in obj

4. I issued make distributeworld DISTDIR=/export/freebsd-sparc64,
but don't understand clear way to populate system properly with it.

In NetBSD I would simply build distributions sets, unpack everything
except etc.tgz and finished with etcupdate -s etc.tgz. This will
work except deletion of old binaries, what is not supported for whole
platform.

I beleive there are simple and fast way to populate remote hosts
with fresh cross-compiled binaries, but don't have a guess.

Thank you very much in advance.

--
Sincerely yours