Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:17:13 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>,  Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>
Subject:   Re: Installing make as pmake when WITH_BMAKE specified (was Re: [CFT/RFC]: refactor bsd.prog.mk to understand multiple programs instead of a singular program)

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 9:34 AM, David O'Brien <obrien@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 03:00:21PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> Here's an updated version of the workaround that works properly in all
>> cases and installs bmake as make and links make to pmake when
>> WITH_BMAKE=yes, and installs make as make when WITHOUT_BMAKE is
>> specified (this works better than the previous patch I sent to Simon).
>
> Garrett,
> I don't see how this could be committed -- it will make it difficult
> for 10-CURRENT folks to build ports (and there are no pre-build packages
> for 10-CURRENT).

I don't want it committed because Simon's move makes sense longterm: I
wanted to offer an alternative as opposed to just being stuck in
purgatory and figured that others might benefit from it.

We're stuck at a point now that we need to make a break but we also
need to ensure that we don't break things too badly for users with
older versions of make. Installing our version of make as something
other than `make` would at least allow us to use make as pmake in
ports, but I realized it would requiring hacking around portmaster,
portupgrade, and a number of other tools that expect FreeBSD make to
be make and don't have a means of parameterizing make in the
environment or on the command line.

So looking back now my mitigation solution would not be ideal and
would not fix any problems really.

> Are you not able to use this instead (w/"WANT_USRBIN_BMAKE=" in /etc/src.conf)?

That would be interesting too (and is a lot less involved than my
patch), and probably would have less fallout.

Thanks!
-Garrett